Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dear, HBO (and all you other advertising people)


Okay, first of all I want to thank you for creating A Game of Thrones. It’s quite possibly the most exciting thing that’s happened to me since I finished the book series. If you haven’t checked out the series OR the HBO show – well, you’re missing out. 

Now that that’s out of the way, I want to talk about something. The gratuitous sex you put in most of your shows is kind of over the top. Maybe it’s more uncomfortable for me because I watch a lot of these shows with my mom, but it’s still overboard all the same.

At first, it’s edgy. It’s cool and sexy. But when it’s literally every show you create, it gets a bit stale. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I think it actually adds to the story and whatnot – but it’s not always necessary. (Just so we’re clear here, I’m not talking about the sex in A Game of Thrones, which has been moderate and accurate to the books – except the first scene with Khal Drogo and Daenerys, you made that WAY more rapey (not a word, I know) than it was in the books)

But it’s not really HBO that I want to bicker at. It’s the entire television/movie industry. Sex sells. I get it. *Yawn*

No, really. I do. But at what point do you cross that border between sexy and tacky? If I see one more Calvin Klein commercial before I die, it will be too soon. The people doing CK’s advertising must have the worst creative crew ever. I picture it going a little something like this:



Advertising guru: How can we sell this product to the people?!

Advertising novice: How about a scenic backdrop and then off to the left a white stallion appears bearing Mr. Klein. And then we can bring in a…..

Advertising guru: Shut up, novice – I’ve got it! Check this out. We have two beautiful people in nothing but underwear. AND THEY ROLL AROUND IN BED ALL SEXY-LIKE! Who wouldn’t want to buy our underwear after such a mind-blowing display of awesome?

Me: WHAT THE F***? Again?! I’m getting some Hanes.



I’m pretty sure that up there is like 103% accurate, too.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is stop using sex to sell EVERYTHING. Just because your product is boring and unimaginative doesn’t mean you have to torture the rest of us with ads that share similar qualities. 

Besides, if I wanted to watch people roll around in their underwear for entertainment, I’d go to my family reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment